Friday, January 18, 2013

Sometimes I Crawl in Boats

So I don't know about anybody who is reading this, but I never really wanted to work in an office.  That being said, it only just occurred to me that this is kind of exactly what engineers do, which in the middle of your junior year is a little like figuring out you hate kids at your son's second birthday party.

I kind of always dreaded living the Office Space lifestyle, trapped in some existential hell punctuated with pointless meetings and busy work.

"I'm going to need you to come in on a Saturday.  All of them."
 Instead, this week I found myself breaking stuff for science and climbing around the world's most expensive jungle gym, the USNS Montford Point.
I work on a hovercraft mothership
It was an incredible change of scenery from the Mission Valley office, and it's absolutely thrilling to work in a design office and then see the general arrangements you've been working on in AutoCAD in real life.  I honestly never expected to enjoy working in the office (at least for NASSCO) as much as I do, and it's so great to find out its nothing like what I was taught to expect from Office Space.




Except the printer. I hope it gets smallpox.





No comments:

Post a Comment