Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Checking In

Well, this is my first post so I'll try to sum up the past few days.  Turns out the apartment is so new, the taxi GPS couldn't find our address.  Yay!

Settled in to the apartment shortly thereafter, and it's alright.  And by alright, I mean I literally spent half an hour walking laps around the house saying "oh my god oh my god oh my god" to nobody in particular.  As if a full kitchen, two giant flat-screens, and more channels than there are people at Webb, the apartment came with a couple days' worth of food to help a freshly moved college kid not starve to death until he can find the supermarket.

First dinner in San Diego resulted in a trip to Denny's, and I was promptly reminded why I haven't eaten there as long as I can remember. Among the lessons learned from that night was that apparently jaywalking on the West Coast gives Elli anxiety.  I, meanwhile, had trouble understanding the concept of *not* running across the street the second you got an opening.

Almost kicked off the next morning with a bang when I left the gas stove on for a while while trying to scramble some eggs.  Apparently it's good form to start the fire BEFORE the room is filled with flammable material.

Went for an adventure with Sam and her friend Andrew from CMA, and saw Ocean Beach.  Encountered some interesting wildlife on my trip, but I was encouraged to not feed it.

First day of work started with a glorious mile-long walk from a trolley station to the shipyard, and I swear we could see Tijuana from where we stood.  From what I've heard, it's a quiet and sleepy town perfect for casual solo visitors with lots of money.

Cooking adventures aside, that's the news from this end so far. Now that I'm set up, I promise posts will be a little more interesting and maybe with pretty pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment