Wednesday, January 30, 2013

98.5% More WubWub

So, as I mentioned earlier, Sam turned 21 on Thursday.  Having been locked away in the Institute since high school ended, we had to look up things that you can do to celebrate this new age.  Here's what Google told me:

When you are 21 you are allowed to:
  • Apply to adopt a child
  • Hold an airline transport pilot's licence for an aeroplane, helicopter and gyroplane
  • Apply for a provisional licence to drive a large passenger vehicle or heavy goods vehicle  
  • Supervise a learner driver (providing you have held a full licence for the same type of vehicle for at least three years)
"Happy birthday! We figured you wouldn't like a gyroplane."

Naturally, we had a huge party to get together and supervise learning drivers all weekend.  It was pretty wild.
 We managed to survive a full weekend of student drivers with Li, Sam's new adopted daughter, riding in the back seat, and stumbled into work intact the following Monday.  Work resumed as usual, and Elli and I were revising some AutoCAD drawings. One thing led to another, and suddenly we DROPPED THE BASE....line.
No, Skrillex, you cannot be a naval architect. Go home.
If you don't get that joke, your life is a lot better off.  Moving on, I got to break more metal at SDSU today, which is always a great way to spend the day.  Classes have started, however, and our structural lab had a class doing some of their own lab stuff in the corner for a while, when it was revealed to me that these people were juniors, like me.  Funny story, they were looking at me like I was a grad student, probably because I was hanging out with a bunch of them.
That's right, I'm totally a grad student. Look at my facial hair.
Great news came today when we found out that our efforts for the Trapezoids of Death, the very same that had claimed my sanity the week before, were actually very successful.  To give you a sense of how big of a deal this was to us, let me explain:  this weekend we will conduct an inclining experiment, a day-long ordeal that keeps a lot of people very busy and well into the night, possibly even the next morning.  If for some reason some of our data was inaccurate, the whole thing would need to be repeated and nobody would be able to leave the ship until the mistake is fixed.  Our little Excel program is a redundancy measure that will fix that mistake and allow everyone to go home!

In other news, mother dearest is in town for a while! I brought her out to Hodad's as a rite-of-passage thing, and I almost succeeded in my dastardly inheritance plot to kill her by coronary.  Speaking of plots to murder my parents via San Diego, remember that sketchy part of town I walked by a few posts back?  Guess whose hotel was about 500 feet away from that.
...this looks nothing like the brochure.
Anyway, she's in a better place now.  By that, I mean she's in Shelter Island and her hotel is really nice now.  That's all for now, and I can't think of a good way to end this post. 
Here's some seals. They live in La Jolla sometimes. I've got nothing.









No comments:

Post a Comment