Monday, February 3, 2014

Big Changes




I know I promised to update more regularly, but a whole bunch of life happened real quick over here but I finally found the time and motivation to sit down and resume my bloggerly duties.  So we'll get the real important part out of the way first:


NASSCO hired me. I accepted. I'm engaged I guess?

Here's some more details on what exactly I mean by that.  NASSCO called me up a couple months ago to notify me of a position they had available in their PDP program, which puts new hires on a rotation through a bunch of different departments for a year or so.  That gives you a really good opportunity to get experience both in the shipyard and in the office, and exposes you to a wide variety of fields before setting your sights on something.  To fast-forward through some irrelevant details including "I technically forgot to apply," I got a call last week officially offering me a full-time position starting in the summer. While I had hoped for some time to weigh my options before deciding on what path my immediate future took, I was told that I had two days to answer.

OH NO THAT'S TOTALLY FINE JUST LET ME FIGURE OUT MY LIFE REAL QUICK





A couple freakouts and long life discussions with mom over the phone later, I accepted the next day.  And with that, I officially cemented the fact that I will soon enter adult life with a job and rent and bills and stuff.
Penny shutting and throwing her laptop
I had to wash my hands after typing that.

Now that the big part is out of the way, I'll backtrack a bit and fill you in on some of the other events of the past week and a half.  When I first got to my apartment last year, I was blown away that NASSCO provided free WiFi, cable, and landline telephones for the duration of our stay.  You could imagine my surprise when my first night in town this year featured absolutely none of these things. I was basically slumming it.

 
I thought the Amish were just...decorative, I guess.

It turns out that Synergy, the company responsible for pulling together our housing arrangements, made a clerical error somewhere along the line and forgot to install everything before our arrival.  They apologized profusely for the mistake and then immediately sent a representative on a half-hour journey just to drop off a mobile hot spot so I could have internet while they figured out the rest of the utilities.  The following day I came home to a cable guy hooking me up with more amenities than I'll probably be able to afford once I do this routine on my own, which was already more than enough to make me happy.  The next week, Synergy called us up and said they wanted to give us gift cards to apologize for the inconvenience.

I thought this was really sweet of the company to do, but I was absolutely blown away to find out they gave me $100 on a Visa giftcard to spend on whatever I want.  By not having internet for a day, I managed to earn roughly a day's pay.
Woody Harrelson Wiping Tears Money Woody Harrelson Wiping His Tears With Money
The pain was immense, but I endured.

It was shortly after this that Brian Mills, class of '16, contacted me and said he'd be in town off an MSC tanker stationed in Coronado.  Brian, in a moment of brilliance, suggested that I take a break from designing ships and he from living on one by touring the USS Midway.  Since it was not my place to judge Brian for cheating on his ship, I decided to go along.  


Stacks up with OG Mills.



 What got me was my change in priorities from when I was about six years old to the current day. I was really into Top Gun back in the day, but my parents weren't very supportive of my oily beach volleyball phase.  So I moved on to my second favorite part, the awesome jets, and was mildly totally obsessed for a long time.  Yet with a flight deck full of supersonic fighter craft above me, I now found myself geeking out over the steam catapult systems and the main propulsion engines.  Brian and I descended into the engine room to validate our education, where we met a retired Chief Engineer from the Navy and introduced ourselves as aspiring naval architects.  We were promptly used as backup in an argument the guy was having with his friend about how much the 448-foot long propulsion shafts twisted while underway at full speed, with our new friend insisting that a shaft could twist over 360 degrees along its length.  We were asked for our expert opinion, and I knew it was my time to shine.

"Um...maybe?"

 With a solid month between the day I was asked this and the last time I had to use my brain for anything major, I basically admitted that it sounded like it could be fine in theory but I'd have to double check once I became intelligent again.  I lied about the again part, but he didn't need to know that.

This past Saturday was John Malone's famed annual pool party, although this year the pool was inoperable.  Despite that setback, a great night was had by all as we hung out with alumni new and old not new.  One particularly fun aspect was looking through a collection of binnacles that chronicled the lives of friends, professors, and bosses alike.  What was a lot less fun was
 realizing that anything that goes in that book will forever haunt you like the Ghost of Stupid College Decisions Past.

"Dude, remember that time you-" YES I DO STOP RIGHT NOW.





No comments:

Post a Comment